the aggressives where are they now
In order to understand what Keeling explains in higher density is multiple layers of theory on the telling of history and how history can validate current social constructs, but also how the particular telling of stories can allow for concepts and ideology escape from us to be later understood.

Jayme Jackson says: May 21, 2015 at 8:28 am I appreciate your analysis of this reading since it was a bit difficult to get through … One of the things that I really enjoyed about The Aggressives was that the documentary left the interpretation of the term up to the viewers. “Use past experiences and history to formulate a background embedded with the current socially constructed views.”. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon.

Perhaps the person documenting the story wanted it to remain timeless to leave doors open for other stories to be inspired by this community. Keeling agrees that this is an important aspect of explaining queerness to an audience, but it lacks the ambiguity we’ll see presented in the third film, The Aggressives.

Very interesting analysis. Labels are often dangerous and limiting to an individuals identity due to the fact that they are constantly being judged by their label, and may also limit themselves because of the label they choose to use to identify themselves. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account.

Rack up 500 points and you'll score a $5 reward for more movies.

Kara Keeling’s piece, Looking for M —-, is an analysis of queer films that are spatially formulated in order to invoke a particular type of mental recognition of specific ideologies or concepts that pertain to the present time and future times.

This documentary was well done. Its worth purchasing if like me you are trying hard to understand the gender conflicts in our society and the reasons why we are so hell bent on catagorising ourselves. Filmed over five years in NYC during the late 90's and early 00's, the featured "Aggressives" share their dreams, secrets and deepest fears.

To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Video availability outside of United States varies. Both of these films work to recite the past to better understand contemporary society.

Excellent documentary and I am glad that it was created. This documentary follows a group of women who are "aggressives," a subculture of lesbians who dress like men and even pass for them in society. An insightful exposé on the subculture of trans men, lesbian "butches" and their "femme" counterparts who tow the line between gender definitions. I viewed the label of Aggressive of being more of a dominant mindset in relationships more than anything else. Overall, I agree with the points you made. I agree with Keeling that the latter is more concerned with the future and can help society move towards a more progressive social state. He was fed up hearing excuse after excuse, and growing tired of the complaining and water-cooler gossip. It is about who you are and it was refreshing to see that they were proud of it all. I was fascinated by this documentary and have watched it twice. Yes, all of the people in The Aggressives identified as lesbians, but I’m not entirely sure that that’s a requirement. They also struggle with the limitations of adhering too closely to the label. Well I finally bought it when I learned that it was on DVD. “It is through the term The Aggressives – rather than gay, lesbian, queer, transgender – that the audience is able to create their own thoughts on the women without the how and why a type of people could exist.” I think there was something to that…to removing the film from familiar labels and putting forth “Aggressives” so that we, as an audience, can formulate our own thoughts without influence from our own internal dialogue or even popular culture’s perpetuated stereotypes on the LGBTQ community.

Jake mentioned that he was not entirely sure that being a lesbian was a requirement of being an aggressive, but I looked at an Aggressive as a subcategory of a lesbian. AG's cross so many economic and sociological boundaries, that is hard to strike a balance. It was informative and directed to the minority’s of America’s society. Reviewed in the United States on March 19, 2019. I understand this doc is decades old but this documentary didnt give me enough insight into the communities. And one of the people was a self-identified transgender person, so you don’t have to be a woman to be an Aggressive. Was told that it was powerful and was a must see. Reviewed in the United States on July 18, 2008.

I thought it was cool how it was understood among that small section of the queer community what the general sense of an Aggressive was but it meant something slightly different to each person who embodied and used the term. To be honest when watching the Agressives I had no idea why they couldn’t just call themselves butches or transgender or lesbians, but now I see its a whole nother identity these women want to associate themselves with.

Sort of. To each their own and i make no judgement of sorts just my own opinions. One young woman, demonstrated that she was not sure really whom she was, and some of that is society's fault for constantly trying to put labels on people. Making sense of these three films and their advantages and disadvantages is difficult without going into too much summary from her perspectives on the films. From the entertaining standpoint, you were able to see what the Aggressives in this movie do, in order to prepare for a show and some of them really did pass the test regarding being able to appear 'masculine'.

Its just not happening, she has so many womanly facial features. The weight of this burden juxtaposed against the exhilaration of loving the feminine female results in an apparent vulnerability that is captured well by D. Peddle, the director. 7 août 2013 - Cette épingle a été découverte par Léanne Bourguignon.

The theme of the movie is about six 20-something women of color that identify themselves as "aggressives", a sub-genre in the "butch" category of lesbians. I think that a lot of documentaries should do this totals the focus off of the negative and give little room for judgement. Select the department you want to search in.

It’s very lucid and it helped me better understand the point that Keeling makes.

Hey! From an educational standpoint, it allowed the world to see that these people do exist, they have a right to exist and their lives are not walk in the parks but they feel that their struggles are worth it. When a label such as lesbian or butch is too narrow, it is beneficial to create a new identity such as Aggressive that doesn’t have preconceived notions about it. Keeling’s argument supports that all three films are experimental in their ability to affect. It jumps from person to person, showing you little glimpses into their lives. I felt who they chose and how the women interacted were a little problematic. A key aspect to understanding Keeling’s theory is her foundation from Frantz Fanon’s Black Skin, White Masks, where Fanon builds off of Marx’s organization of time to explore “the temporality of the colonial mode of representation of otherness and in revealing a temporality that raises the possibility of the impossible within colonial reality, black liberation.” She uses this to take her analysis further by incorporating Marx’s “Poetry from the Future”, which she explains as one of the only ways to move past the contemporary constructions of race and/or sexuality in any given period of time. I like this analysis. I do understand the value of “leaving the location and time out of her story” as it “allows the audience to hear The Aggressives tell their story without a preconception of what they are and what they came to be,” but I am not sure how progressive or beneficial this tactic would potentially be if used in other REAL social contexts. She uses the term “affect” in a different definition than “the motor tendency on a sensitive nerve.” She wants to focus less on how “affect” is used to describe feelings or emotions, but how affect works “involving the mental activity required to make sense of the world,” albeit in a potentially harmful way because, “affectivity accesses our individual past experiences and the forms of common sense we have forged over time (even when it breaks the sensory-motor link that chains us to the past), it has both subjective and collective elements to it.”. And agree with the first commenter that it one does not need to identify as a woman to be an aggressive. Keeling is most concerned with the hegemonic ways in which stories and concepts are communicated to an audience which can either be progressive in an end goal of achieving what seems impossible in that time’s contemporary social construct. As I saw it, I was more of a "butch" than they were. The other actors, such as Jo Yi-jin (Han-ju), weren’t so stellar. He was sick of chasing down co-workers for information they promised to get him weeks ago. Kudos! Screen Reader Users: To optimize your experience with your screen reading software, please use our Flixster.com website, which has the same tickets as our Fandango.com and MovieTickets.com websites.

( Log Out / 

As I saw a few of those being followed as totally not true to what they were claiming. They also struggle with the limitations of adhering too closely to the label. However, each of the women defines and utilizes the term "aggressive" slightly differently. 7-16- Margarita Miglio. At first view I saw the movie as, yea I'm going to see a bunch of manly looking women, a bunch of touch-me nots (possibly), but instead I see just women. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. For instance, if I were to meet either actor I would half expect them to act as they did in the movie.

I found this post to be an interesting read and aided in my understanding of how the readings linked with the films.

There's a problem loading this menu right now. Rentals include 30 days to start watching this video and 48 hours to finish once started. It is hard to imagine the film without them, because they became the characters that they played.

These women hide female elements of their bodies and often adopt male personas.

What The Aggressives does is tell the story of queer women as The Aggressives with no concept of space and time to leave what Keeling refers to as, “leaving on the cutting room floor everything that does not ‘further the action.” By leaving the location and time out of her story, it allows the audience to hear The Aggressives tell their story without a preconception of what they are and what they came to be.

Get your swag on with discounted movies to stream at home, exclusive movie gear, access to advanced screenings and discounts galore. Where can i watch the 2006 documentary "The aggressives" online for free? It's a documentary i just found out about (6 years later) i really want to see it.

Schipperke Puppies Oregon, Frank Collison Face, Kinleith Forest Recreation Club, Jyfil Meaning Reddit, Alicia Garza Parents, Vz 61 9mm, Algebra Tiles Printable, Riteq Login Industrie, What Is Revealed About Human Purpose From The Readings, Coby Cotton Age, Is Plan B On The Shelf At Shoppers, Extacy Pill Dictionary, Mount Shasta Disappearances, Blake Henderson Wife, Wenonah Royalex Solo Canoe, Helix Piercing Pain, Continental W670 Radial Engine For Sale, Owens Corning Teak Vs Driftwood, Roam Research Funding, Commoner Crossword Clue, Wow Kezan How To Get There, Nba 2k13 Ratings, Aldi Sirloin Steak, Josh Elizetxe Wife, Moukoko Fifa 21, Black Market Apk, Backslash Key Not Working, Vampire Dog Breed, Fifteen Tv Show, Penei Sewell Bench Press, Who Killed Jessup In Winter's Bone, Spongebob Logo Font, The 5th Kind, Michele Michaels Wdve, Wnba Predictions Today, 13th Documentary Quotes, What Ranks Can Queue Together Valorant, Oud Wholesalers Dubai, Christmas Baking Quotes, How Rare Are Rainbow Rare Pokemon Cards, Watch Puri Puri Prisoner And The Escaped Prisoners, Retired Nrl Players 2010, How To Tell If A Leo Man Is Falling For You, Karrueche Tran Net Worth Forbes, Truth At All Costs Close Reader Answers, Nba 2k20 Teammate Grade Bonus, Paladin Tank Shadowlands, How To Remove A Seized Bolt With No Head, Alamein Dead Song, Friv Com 2019, The Sinner Prologue Game Wiki, Apple Cider Vinegar For Powdery Mildew, La Fortune De Sidiki Diabaté 2020, Devin May Alan May, Jake Lamotta Denise Baker, Ratatouille Song Translation, Kitchenaid Mixer Repair Cost, The Dillards Bluegrass Band, Nigel Benn Daughter,